Incentive for family day care
Family day care was identified as the most flexible delivery mechanism to immediately provide 120 new childcare places in Gladstone. The details of how this scheme will operate and be administered are below. In essence, the Rio Tinto Community Fund will provide up to $10,000 financial incentive to help individuals establish a family day care service at their home.
What is family day care?
Family day care offers families the unique opportunity to engage their child in an early childhood education and care programme, in a small group within a home based setting. Children are nurtured and cared for in the homes of approved family day care educators who are resourced, supported and monitored by a central coordination unit.
Careers in family day care
Do you enjoy the company of children? Do you want to make a difference in their lives by providing quality care and learning experiences from your own home? If you answered yes, family day care may be for you.
Do I qualify? **** 31/7/15 There is currently one family day care grant left ***
To qualify for the scheme, applicants must:
- Complete the recruitment and selection process with a recognised coordination unit.
- Operate their at home day care service in the Gladstone area (including Tannum Sands, Boyne Island and Calliope).
- Complete the Certificate III in Children’s Services in 24 months;
- Agree that if terminated by the coordination unit or resign within the first 24 months the total grant is repayable;
- Applicant cannot be currently registered or already delivering a childcare service in Gladstone.
- Applicant must be new to the at home day care industry in Gladstone.
- Applicant must use the $10,000 incentive for the purpose of establishing a family day care business at home
- $5,000 will be paid upon successful application (receipts must be provided within 90 days of acceptance)
- A further $5,000 is available for associated costs up to 12 months after opening, subject to acceptance of written quotes and/or receipts by Rio Tinto
- Applicant must seek professional advice regarding any legal obligations, including tax, associated with starting a family day care service
- Further terms and conditions apply. Please see your participating coordination unit for further details.
This is not a decision that should be taken lightly, and although there is a financial incentive to help, the $10,000 may not cover all costs associated with starting an at home day care service.
I might be interested, how do I find out more?
There are many resources available to help you make an informed decision. A good starting place ishttp://deta.qld.gov.au/earlychildhood/families/family-day-care.html. If you have any further questions, we suggest you contact one of the recognised coordination units (listed below). The coordination units screening and training processes is set up so that they can ensure genuine, quality and capable people are engaged to deliver this service. Opening a family day care facility is a big commitment that comes with great responsibility, so please conduct thorough research to find out if this suits you and your family’s needs.
I am ready to take the next step and open a family day care service, where to now?
To take advantage of the financial assistance you will need to contact one of the recognised coordination units and complete their recruitment, application and selection process.
Once this has been completed, the coordination unit will apply on your behalf for the $10,000 incentive. The participating coordination units are:
|FAMILY DAY CARE COORDINATION UNITS||PHONE|
|Capricornia Family Day Care||4927 9577|
|The Salvation Army Gladstone Family Day Care Scheme||4972 2985|
What can I use the $10,000 for?
The incentive could be used for one or a selection of the following:
- Preparing your home to provide family day care (an assessment will be completed by your coordination unit as part of the assessment process)
- Small business training
- Certificate III in Children ‘s Services
- Business establishment and associated insurance costs
- Supplies such as safety equipment and educational materials for the children in your care
Other business requirements include:
- Public liability insurance
- Police or criminal record check
- First aid certificate
- Working with children check.
I have children and want to register them for family day care?
If you have children and want to utilise a family day care service, please contact a local coordination unit (as above) to register your interest.
Terms and conditions apply, please contact us for more information.